Kale and Cheddar Filo Strudel
A vegetable and cheese pastry by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- ½ bunch of Kale, washed and shredded
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- 150 grams pancetta or smoked speck, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 200 grams ricotta cheese
- 100 grams freshly grated cheddar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 60 grams butter, melted
- In a sauté pan, fry the pancetta for 2 to 3 minutes to start to render the fat and then add the spring onions and cook for a further minute. Now add the kale, garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to wilt. Cool a little and then season with salt and pepper and add the nutmeg. Mix in the ricotta cheese, cheddar, egg and lemon zest.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Brush butter on piece of filo and continue to layer the 5 remaining sheets.
- Place the kale mixture across the filo (lengthwise) about 5 cm from the edge and roll the pastry folding the sides inward as if to fold a spring roll. Brush the roll with butter and place seam side down on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Share it with your friends.