An Italian dish by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for frying the scaloppini
- 1 onions, finely diced
- 2 anchovies (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 x 410 grams can of chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup of basil leaves, picked and torn
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 4 minute steaks
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 200 grams fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tbs. of oil in a sauté pan and fry the onion, garlic and anchovies over a medium heat until soft. Add the white wine followed by the tomatoes and season well. Add basil and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Now add the peas and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 35 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, Place the minute steaks between two pieces of baking paper and flatten with a meat mallet or the base of a pan to flatten. Lightly flour and then place in the egg wash. Drain slightly and place in the crumbs. Coat well. Heat a large frying pan and add a good splash off olive oil. Fry the crumbed steaks for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Place on some paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
- Place the scaloppini into the sauce and serve.
Share it with your friends.