Kilmore Quay Mussels with Bacon and White Wine
Enjoy this quick and easy mussel recipe from Kevin Dundon's Modern Irish Food.
- Stir Frying
- 10 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 4 - 6 servings
- 5 kilograms (3lb) Mussels, scrubbed
- 225 millilitres (1 cup) White wine
- 55 grams (4 tablespoons) Butter
- 2 Shallots, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 rashers (slices) of streaky (fatty) Bacon, chopped
- 2 large Tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf Parsley
- Clean the mussels and discard any that don’t close when tapped sharply
- Place the mussels in a large saucepan and cover with the wine. Cook for 3–4 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the mussels are open.
- Transfer the mussels to a bowl and discard any that do not open. Strain the cooking liquid into a separate bowl to remove any grit or impurities and set this and the mussels aside
- Melt half the butter in a pan over a low heat and add the shallots and garlic. Add the bacon, increase the heat to medium and cook for a few minutes until the bacon is crisp. Now add the tomatoes and cook until softened
- Mash together the flour and the remaining butter in a bowl, then add this mixture to the pan, piece by piece. At the same time, slowly add the mussel cooking liquid
- If you find that the sauce is too thick, add a little water to loosen the mixture
- Reheat the mussels in the sauce, then sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately with some crusty bread
Share it with your friends.