Enjoy this quick and easy Thai lamb recipe by Reza Mahammad from Reza Spice Prince of Thailand.
- Stir Frying
- 30 minutes
- 3 hours 50 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Reza Spice Prince: Thailand
- For The Massaman Paste, Approx 200 grams
- 2 teaspoons Coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons Cumin seeds
- 2x 2.5 cm Cassia bark
- 6-8 Cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- ½ teaspoon white peppercorns
- 6-8 dried finger Chillies
- Coarse sea salt such as Malden salt
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable /sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon galangal
- 120 grams shallots finely chopped
- 4kaffir lime leaves very finely chopped
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coriander roots
- Zest of 2 limes
- Lamb Shank Massaman
- 3 teaspoons Veg oil
- 70 grams Massaman Paste (above paste)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 225 millilitres water
- 40 grams palm sugar
- 150 millilitres tamarind juice
- 75 millilitres Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom pods
- 1 whole cinnamon sticks
- 120 grams peeled baby potatoes, cut in half
- Massaman Paste
- Using a frying pan, dry fry the coriander seeds, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon,cloves peppercorns, chillies and salt until the chillies change brownish in colour.
- Remove from the heat, and transfer into either a coffee grinder or a pestle and mortar. Pound or blend until you achieve a fine powder and keep to one side.
- Wrap some shrimp paste into foil and heat in a pan a minute on either side. This mellows out the intense flavour of the shrimp paste. Remove from heat and discard the foil keeping the shrimp paste and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and sauté the shallots, garlic, galangal, kaffir lime leaves until the shallots and garlic soften and become fragrant.
- Now add the shrimp paste and continue to stir fry for a couple of minutes until the mixture has browned slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Using either a pestle and mortar or blender, put the shallot and garlic mixture along
- Lamb Shank Massaman
- Fry the lamb shanks in the pan and remove and rest
- Mix together the massaman paste/ coconut milk/ water/ palm sugar/ tamarind juice and fish sauce
- Put the lamb shanks in a pan and coat with the mixture and add the cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks
- Put in the oven on 170c and cook for 3 hours
- Add potatoes and cook for a further 25-30 mins
- Leave to rest and garnish with fried onions and coriander
Share it with your friends.