Get this quick and easy Indonesian grean bean recipe from My Family Feast.
- 25 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 4 servings
- 3 cups Snake beans, cut in ½ cm slices
- 250 grams minced Chicken
- ½ cup fresh Coconut, roasted
- Juice of 1 Bali Lime or half a Lime
- Dried Onion flakes for garnish
- Chicken spice paste
- 2 large Red chillies
- 13 grams Ginger, peeled & chopped
- 20 grams Galangal (kencur),chopped
- 10 grams Tumeric, chopped
- 25 grams Galangal (laos), chopped
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, chopped
- 6-8 Shallots, chopped
- 6 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 grams Coriander seeds
- 3 Candlenuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Light palm sugar
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 dessertspoon Black peppercorn
- 1 dessertspoon White peppercorn
- 10 grams roasted Shrimp paste
- Salt to taste
- 100 millilitres Canola oil for frying
- If its possible to find a fresh coconut. Break open and remove the white flesh. Cut into chunks and toast it under the grill. When it is cool, shave it and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Chop all the ingredients for the spice paste very finely and combine in a mortar and pestle and pound to paste. Fry off the spice paste in 2 tablespoonsp of oil for about 3 minutes. Add 2 finely chopped dry bay leaves, mix well and set aside.
- Boil water in a saucepan, add 1 teaspoon of salt and place the chicken mince into the water to cook for about 5 – 8 minutes. Break any lumps of meat so that it is cooked thoroughly.
- When cooked, remove mince with a slotted spoon and place in bowl.
- Using the chicken stock from the meat, bring to boil again and put in the chopped snake beans. Blanch for about 2 minutes. (Do not overcook, beans should be crunchy). Drain the beans and add to chicken.
- Add the spice paste to the beans and chicken and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Mix through half a cup of shaved coconut, squeeze the juice of half a lime over the mixture and sprinkle with dried onion flakes and serve.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Share it with your friends.