Lemon Basil Spaghetti Aglio Olio
Get this quick and easy aglio olio recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Simply Special.
- 20 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Simply Special
- 180 grams dried Spaghetti
- 2-3 cloves of Garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried Red chilli flakes
- 1 Lemon: zest, segments and juice
- A generous handful of Basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons of Extra virgin Olive oil (in the pan)
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, and cook the spaghetti
- In the meantime, peel and chop the garlic and set aside
- Prepare the lemon by grating the zest from the yellow skin, making sure to avoid the white and bitter pith. Set aside
- Next, slice the ends of the lemon and sit it upright on the chopping board. Carefully trim off all the pith and skin from around the lemon
- Slice the lemon segments out from between the membranes and keep them in a bowl for later.
- Squeeze the remains of the lemon and get all those juices into the same bowl
- Now, heat up the extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and add the chilli flakes, garlic and lemon zest
- SautÃ© for a minute or two, just until the oil takes on the flavours and colour of the chilli, lemon zest and garlic. Take off the heat
- Drain the pasta, and toss it into the frying pan with the flavoured oil. Season with salt and pepper, and add the lemon segments and juice
- Tear up the basil leaves roughly and add them to the pasta. Toss it altogether, and finish with some freshly grated parmesan cheese
Share it with your friends.