Lemony Orzo Chicken Soup in a Jar
A comforting chicken soup by Trisha Yearwood from Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 25 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- ⅓ cup orzo
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 340 grams boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 split breasts), cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Combine the carrots, celery and onions, chicken stock and 2 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the orzo and 1/2 teaspoon salt, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables and orzo are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Toss the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper, then add to the soup along with the peas. Simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted.
- Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide the soup between 4 pint-size Mason jars.
Special equipment: 4 pint-size Mason jars
Share it with your friends.