Mixed Herbs Rice
Flavorful and aromatic rice by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Martin Yan's Asian Favorites
- 6 cups Jasmine rice, washed and drained (use measuring cup from rice cooker)
- 20 grams Salted fish (Kurau or Threadfin)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 35 grams Dried prawns, soaking in water
- 4 tablespoons Desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sesame oil
- Enough water to reach the “6 cups” mark in the rice cooker
- HERB MIXTURE INGREDIENTS:
- 10 small Red Shallots
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, tough outer and root removed, crushed
- 3 stalks Mint leaves
- 6-8 Betel leaves – (Daun Kaduk)
- 4-5 Galangal leaves – (Daun Cekur)
- 1 Turmeric leaf
- 1 torch Ginger flower
- 2 young Kaffir lime leaves
- 10 grams fresh Turmeric, peeled
- 15 milliliters Water
- GARNISH INGREDIENTS:
- 1 teaspoon Desiccated Coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground Dried prawns and salted fish mixture
- 4 sprigs Mint leaves
- 1 Salted egg, cooked and halved
- CONDIMENT INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Salted egg, cooked and halved
- Sambal belacan, amount depending on preferred consumption
- HERB MIXTURE PREPARATION:
- In a pan, dry toast the desiccated coconut till golden brown.
- Drain the soaked prawns, pound till fluffy and toast in a dry wok till aromatic.
- In the same wok, add oil for frying the salted fish until crispy and golden.
- When cooled, grind the toasted dried prawns and salted fish into a fine powder.
- Grate the turmeric into a bowl of water.
- Finely slice the shallots, lemongrass, mint leaves, betel leaves, cekur leaves, turmeric leaves, torch ginger flower and kaffir lime leaves. Leave some aside for garnishing later.
- Cook rice using the Rice Cooker, by adjusting the setting for long grain rice.
- When rice is cooked, fluff it up and transfer to a separate bowl and leave to cool.
- To the bowl, toss in sesame oil and fish sauce. Give it a good toss.
- Next add in ground dried prawns and salted fish mixture, grated turmeric juice, desiccated coconut and ¾ of the finely sliced herbs, mixing everything until all the ingredients are properly incorporated with the rice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with more fish sauce if needed.
- Garnish with desiccated coconut, ground dried prawns and salted fish mixture, mint leaves sprigs, quartered salted egg and a dollop of sambal belacan.
Share it with your friends.