Orange and Five Spice Churros
Enjoy this quick and easy dessert recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Yummy Desserts.
- 20 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Yummy Desserts
- 90 grams caster sugar
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 125 grams plain flour
- 125 grams self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 450 millilitres boiling water
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1 litre vegetable oil for frying
- For sauce:
- 250 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 300 millilitres double/heavy cream
- In a wide-mouthed bowl, mix the ground cinnamon, chinese five spice and caster sugar together. Set aside.
- Make the chocolate sauce by heating the dark chocolate, honey and cream over a low heat until combined. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the plain flour, self-raising flour, orange zest and salt together and create a well in the middle.
- Pour the grapeseed or canola oil and boiling water into the well and mix everything together to form a batter. Beat it well to make sure it's smooth. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat up the sunflower oil over a medium-high heat. If you have a thermometer, the oil should be at 170C.
- Transfer the churros batter to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Holding the piping bag in one hand and a pair of scissors in the other, squeeze out 2 or 3-inch segments of the churros batter, snipping to release it into the hot oil. Fry 3-4 at a time.
- Fry each batch for 3-4 minutes, then remove and drain on kitchen paper. When you're done frying, toss the churros with the spiced sugar. Serve alongside the chocolate sauce.
Share it with your friends.