Get this quick and easy veal shank recipe from Fresh with Anna Olson.
- 12 minutes
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Fresh with Anna Olson
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2.72 kilograms veal shanks pieces (about 1 large or 2 small per person)
- 4 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ cups white wine
- 228-oz tins diced tomato
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2bay leaves
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat a large ovenproof pot over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoonp oil. Sear veal shanks until browned on each side and remove.
- You may have to do this in batches, adding oil after each batch. Remove veal from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, celery and carrot, sautéing until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more. Stir in white wine, bring to a simmer, then add tomatoes. Stir in thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Add veal shanks back to pot, ensuring they are covered with liquid (add water if needed).
- Bring to a simmer, cover then place pot in oven. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until veal pulls away from the bone easily.
- To serve, spoon veal onto a serving plate. Remove herbs and return sauce to a simmer.
- Stir in olives and adjust seasoning. Spoon sauce over veal and serve with Saffron pasta or risotto, and a spoonful of gremolata.
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor, season to taste and chill until ready to serve.
Share it with your friends.