Pasta with Tomato Braised Beef Shanks
Get this quick and easy pasta recipe by Michael Smith from Chef Michael's Kitchen.
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 1 serving
- 227 grams beef shanks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of your favourite red wine
- 794 grams can of whole tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon or so of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of kalamata olives, pitted
- 450 grams box of penne or any pasta, cooked and drained
- 283 grams package of fresh spinach
- Splash the olive oil into a pressure cooker over medium-high heat, sear the beef shanks until brown and crispy on both sides, about 4 minutes each.
- Remove the shanks to rest on a plate.
- Splash a bit more olive oil in the pan, add the onions, stirring and cooking to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and carrots.
- Add the red wine then the tomatoes, breaking them up with your fingers.
- Toss in the bay leaf, oregano and salt.
- Bring the works to a full boil then reduce the heat to medium.
- Fit the lid on the pot, forming a tight seal.
- Cook allowing the intense internal pressure to dramatically speed up tenderness, about 5 minutes.
- Then allow the cooking to continue at full steam for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cooker from the heat and allow the steam to die down completely before carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the bones from the shanks, and add the olives, spinach and cooked penne.
- Dinner is ready, serve and share!
- For more information, detailed use instructions and safety features consult the manual that comes with your pressure cooker or search for it online.
Share it with your friends.