Get this quick and easy Peranakan Laksa noodle soup recipe by Chef Wan from Best Wan!.
- 60 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Best Wan!
- 180 millilitres / 6 fl oz Vegetable oil
- 1000 millilitres / 35 fl oz Coconut milk (Santan Cair)
- 100 millilitres / 3½ fl oz Coconut cream (Santan Pekat)
- ½ kilogram / 1 pound fresh Prawns - remove shell (keep) and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried Chilli paste (Sambal cili kering) - soften 6 dried Chillies in hot water, drain, and blend
- 2 tablespoons Coriander powder (Serbuk Ketumbar)
- Handful Laksa leaves or Vietnamese Mint (Daun Kesum), chopped
- Handful Corriander leaves, chopped
- 1 large Onion
- 20 Fish balls
- 20 Bean curd puff (Taupok)
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Paste Ingredients - to be finely grounded:
- 20 Shallots (Red onion)
- 6 Lemongrass (Serai), shreded
- 10 Chillies, half- seeded
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves(Makrut, Daun Limau Purut), shredded
- 2 cm / 1 inch Galangal (Lengkuas or Blue Ginger), sliced
- 4 cm / 2 inch fresh Ginger, sliced
- 2+½ ounces dried Shrimps (Hebi, Udang Kering), soaked in hot water
- 1 fresh Turmeric, sliced
- 15 Candlenuts (Buah Keras, Kemiri)
- Water to blend
- 2 Fish Cakes, blanched and sliced
- 300 grams / 10 oz Egg Noodles or Rice Noodles or Vermicelli Rice Noodle
- 30 grams / 1oz Prawns, blanched
- 30 grams / 1oz Cockles, blanched
- 1 hardboiled Egg - Sliced into halves
- ½ Calamansi lime(Limau Kalamansia, Limau Kasturi) - for each dish
- 1 Cucumber, finely sliced
- Handful of raw Bean spouts (Tauge)
- Chilli based sauce (Sambal) - to taste
- Prawn Stock:
- Handful of Shrimp
- Handful of Cockles Previously removed Prawn shells and heads
- 1 Onion
- 1 Lemongrass
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 2 cm / 1 inch fresh Ginger, sliced
- 5 Limes Leaves (Daun Limau Nipis)
- Heat oil and fry the paste until fragrant on low heat for 10mins until the oil appears on the surface.
- Add in the fresh minced prawns. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat.
- Add in chopped laksa leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Add in coconut milk, and season the laksa with salt and sugar.
- Add in fish balls, bean curd puff (Taupok), and simmer the laksa for 20 minutes or until oil appears on the surface.
- Serve the laksa paste with the ingredients for garnishing.
- Prawn Stock:
- Fry onion in heated oil; add in shrimp, cockles, prawns, onion, lemongrass, garlic and ginger, until fragrant.
- Add in water and simmer for 10 minutes, or till stock thickens.
- Blend all ingredients with some stock, and put them back into stock.
Share it with your friends.