Pieceng Kangkung (spicy kai lan salad)
Enjoy this quick and easy kai lan recipe by Tobie Puttock from Wonderful Indonesia Flavors.
- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Wonderful Indonesia Flavours
- 3 long Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon of Coconut Oil
- 500 grams Kai Lan (Chinese broccoli)
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved and deseeded
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf, tear into pieces
- 2 to 5 Bird's Eye Chilli (depending on the spiciness level)
- ½ teaspoon Shrimp Paste or Dried Anchovies
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Lime, ½ for the dressing and ½ for serving
- Small handful of Peanuts
- 1 tablespoon fried Garlic
- 1 palm sized piece of Fresh Coconut
- 1 long Red Chilli, sliced 2mm thick diagonally
- Chop the long red Chillies into pieces and blend them into a paste with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of coconut oil. Smear the Chilli paste over the coconut oil and grill it on a preheated grill until slightly charred. Removed and set aside for later
- Remove the tough ends of the Kai Lan and cut the Kai Lan into 5cm long pieces. Wash them thoroughly in cold water
- Blanch the Kai Lan in boiling water for about 20 seconds. Remove from the heat and place them into iced water to stop the cooking process. Once cool, remove and set aside
- Place the kaffir lime leaf, bird's eye Chilli, shrimp paste, brown sugar into a mortar and pound them into a paste. Then add the lime juice a little at a time followed by the tomato flesh to further pound the mixture into a paste. Add a little more salt, sugar or lime juice if desired. To get a more consistency dressing paste, add a little bit of water if needed.
- Mix the Chilli, coconut and fried garlic carefully in a separate bowl
- Place the Kai Lan into a large mixing bowl, add the dressing paste from the mortar along with the peanuts and use your fingers to mix them thoroughly.
- Serve the Kai Lan with the fried garlic and Chilli coconut mixture scattered over the top
Serving Note: “I like to serve this with lime but for variation you can use grilled lime.”
Share it with your friends.