Savor this quick and easy appetizer recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking.
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 servings
- 100 grams Watercress, excess stalks cut off
- 1 Romaine lettuce, roughly sliced
- 1 English eating Apple, quartered, cored and cut into small chunks
- 3 Celery sticks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 8–10 Radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 6–8 slices of cooked Ham, torn into pieces
- 100 grams best-quality Cheddar cheese,.g.Montgomery, cut into strips with a vegetable peeler
- 100 grams best-quality Stilton, e.g. Colston Basset, cut into small cubes
- For the quick pickled onion:
- 1 Red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced into rings
- ½ tablespoon golden caster Sugar
- 4 Cloves
- 3 tablespoons Red wine vinegar
- Pinch of Sea salt
- For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon English mustard, to taste
- 1 teaspoon runny Honey
- 3 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- First make the pickled onion. Put the onion into a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar, cloves, vinegar and a pinch of salt. Toss well to mix, place a saucer or layer of cling film over the onions and weigh down with a can of jar. Leave while you prepare the salad, or for up to an hour
- To make the dressing, put the mustard, honey, vinegar and oil into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Set aside.
- Place the watercress, lettuce, apple, celery and radishes in a bowl and mix together. Mix the dressing again, pour it over the salad and toss to ensure everything is lightly coated.
- Dot pieces of the ham and cheeses over the top. Drain the pickled onion and dot this over too. Toss lightly and serve
Share it with your friends.