Portuguese Chicken with Chorizo and Clams
Get this quick and easy chicken recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 20 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 4 servings
- 2 red peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 chicken legs (thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of paprika
- 454 grams (450 g) chorizo (450 grams), sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 15-20 clams
- 2 kale leaves chopped with stems julienned
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oven to broil and place red peppers, skin side up on a baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes or until all the skin is blackened.
- Remove red peppers from the oven and place in an airtight container or bowl covered in plastic wrap to sweat and cool for 5 minutes (skin will then be easy to peel off).
- Reduce heat of the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Meanwhile, place chicken in a bowl and add paprika, chorizo, salt, pepper and mix well.
- In a pan heat canola oil on high heat.
- Add chicken and fry until crispy on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chorizo and do the same for another 2 minutes. Add potatoes and onions and stir.
- Slice skinless red pepper into long strips and add to pan, along with all the juices.
- Place smashed garlic on top of chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the pan in the oven for 25 minutes approximately or until chicken is fork tender. Remove from oven.
- Add clams and kale. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove and plate, garnishing with fresh parsley, chives, a drizzle of olive oil and some crusty (Portuguese) bread on the side.
Share it with your friends.