Potato and Spinach with Poppy Seeds
Try this quick and easy Indian recipe from My Family Feast.
- 15 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 6 - 8 servings
As seen on My Family Feast
- &frac112; kilograms Potatoes, chopped
- 5 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh Ginger, chopped
- 4 small Chillies chopped (a mix of red & green)
- 1 tablespoon finely crushed Ginger
- 1½ Salt
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 150 grams White poppy seeds (buy from Indian supply shop)
- 3 bunches English Spinach
- Peel and finely chop potatoes. Cover the base of a pressure cooker with olive oil and fry the fenugreek and mustard seeds, add the fresh ginger, chopped chillies, crushed ginger and stir.
- Add the potato, salt and turmeric for colour and mix. Cook in pressure cooker until the potato is half cooked. Approx 5 minutes
- Grind the poppy seeds to a powder and add to potatoes. Chop the spinach finely and fold into potato mixture, keep stirring until potatoes turn to pure and spinach reduces. Be careful not to overcook and loose the colour of the spinach
- This dish is a wonderful accompaniment with lamb curry
Note: If not using a pressure cooker, choose a saucepan with a firm lid over a low heat and cook potatoes until half cooked
Share it with your friends.