Red Rubies with Coconut Milk
A different take on the classic Red Ruby dessert by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 20 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6 servings
- 3 cups Coconut milk
- 4 Pandan leaves, knotted
- 1 cup White sugar – adjusted to your liking
- ½ cup Water
- 150 grams Tapioca flour
- 1.5 cups Water chestnuts, peeled
- 20 drops Red food colouring - mix with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Water
- 200 grams ripe Jackfruit, sliced
- 3 cups Ice cubes
- 1.5 liters Water – for ice bath
- 2 cups Ice cubes – for ice bath
- GARNISH INGREDIENTS:
- 1 lime, quartered
- Seed from 1 Pomegranate
- Juice from 1 Pomegranate
- In a saucepan, pour coconut milk, pandan and sugar and ½ cup water to simmer until just hot. Take it off the heat, pour mixture into a jug and set aside to cool.
- Next, cut the water chestnuts into small cubes. Toss them into a mixing bowl and pour in the food colouring mixture till nice and red.
- Use a sieve to drain the colouring from the chestnut cubes. Set chestnut aside.
- Using a large ziplock bag, pour in tapioca flour and chestnut cubes. Shake the bag vigorously, making sure each chestnut is evenly coated with flour.
- Empty the bag into a sieve to shake off the excess flour from chestnuts.
- Prepare a large bowl with an ice water bath.
- Bring the 2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan, then cook the water chestnut in batches for a minute each, then remove and plunge them immediately into an ice bath.
- Strain the water chestnut jewels into a bowl and set aside for assembly.
- To make the crushed ice, pour ice cubes into your blender and use Pulse mode to finely crush the ice.
- To assemble, first spoon a tablespoon of ruby red chestnuts at the bottom of the serving glass, followed by jackfruit, coconut milk, another layer of chestnuts and pomegranate fruits. Then spoon heavy scoops of ice, followed by a garnish of jackfruit, pomegranate fruits and drizzle with pomegranate juice. Hook a lime to the mouth of the glass. Serve cold!
Share it with your friends.