Royal Pilau Nasi Ulam
Get this quick and easy Malay recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Cooking For Love.
- Stir Frying
- 15 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 6 servings
- 4 cups uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 pinch Saffron threads, warmed in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Cashew nuts, halved vertically, toasted
- 2 Yellow Onions, chopped
- 6-8 Mint Leaves, thinly sliced
- 2-3 Daun Kunyit (Turmeric Leaves), thinly sliced
- 5-8 Daun Kaduk (Betel Nut Leaves), thinly sliced
- 8-10 Basil Leaves, thinly sliced
- Wash the jasmine rice 2 or 3 times to get rid of excess starch. Combine the stock with the saffron threads, including water, salt and raisins. Cook in rice cooker.
- On low to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a pan and throw in the chopped onions. Keep stirring over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until caramelized and brown
- When the rice is ready, top with the toasted cashew nuts, caramelized onions and sliced herbs.
- Toss before serving
Share it with your friends.