Sambal Prawn with Bitter Beans (Sambal Udang Petai)
Get this quick, easy and spicy sambal prawn recipe by Chef Wan from Best Wan!.
- Stir Frying
- 30 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Best Wan!
- 80 millilitres / 2⅗ fl oz Vegetable oil
- 50 millilitres / 1½ fl oz Tamarind juice (assam juice) - mix tamarind pulp with hot water, strain
- 1 tablespoon Palm sugar (Gula melaka)
- 40 Bitter beans or Stink beans (petai), peeled
- ½ kilogram / 1 pound of medium-sized Prawns, shelled
- 6 tablespoons / 3 fl oz Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Paste (to be finely ground):
- 10 Shallots, peeled (red onions)
- 30 dried Chillies, soaked in hot water to soften and drain
- 1 tablespoon / ½ fl oz roasted Shrimp paste (belacan)
- 1 cup Water
- Heat cooking oil in a wok, add paste and stir-fry till fragrant and oil begins to appear on the surface
- Add in bitter beans and fresh prawns. Then pour in tamarind juice and palm sugar
- Cook for several minutes, add salt to taste and water to prevent burning
- Dish onto a serving plate when prawns are cooked
Share it with your friends.