Sausage Hot Pot
Dig into this quick and easy stew recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Home Cooking.
- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 4 servings
- Olive oil, for frying
- 8 best-quality pork sausages
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 knobs of butter
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 150 grams button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 200 millilitres red wine
- 200 millilitres beef stock
- Small handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Place a large hob-proof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add a dash of oil and fry the sausages until coloured all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and a couple of knobs of butter to the empty casserole dish. Stir in the sugar and thyme, then cook for 10–15 minutes over a medium heat, stirring now and again until the onions are completely caramelised. Add the mushrooms, stir, and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked sausages and red wine to the dish, bring to the boil and bubble for 4–5 minutes to burn off the alcohol and reduce slightly. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then transfer to the oven for 18–20 minutes uncovered until the sausages are cooked through and the sauce is thick. Sprinkle the finished dish with parsley and serve.
Share it with your friends.