Seared Tuna with Pickled Vegetables Rice
Enjoy this quick and easy seafood recipe by Ili Sulaiman from By The Sea With Ili.
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- Pickled Vegetables:
- 4 centimeter Ginger
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1 Red chilli
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Carrot
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Seared Tuna:
- 200 grams Tuna fish fillet
- 3 tablespoons toasted Sesame seed
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 1 stalk Spring onion
- 1 tablespoon Ginger oil, from frying ginger strips
- Julienne carrot into thin strips. Deseed cucumber and slice up into “C” shapes. Deseed red Chilli and chop into small strips. Cut ginger in to very thin strips. Slice up shallot and chopped spring onion (green and white parts kep separate). Set all these aside in separate bowls.
- In a big bowl add in ½ Vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Then pour about 2 tablespoons of the vinegar mix into each individual bowls vegetable bowls except the ginger and spring onions. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Drain out excess liquid
- For the dressing, in a bowl, add in chopped up garlic, tamarind paste, sugar, chopped spring onion (white part) and salt and mix well and set a side
- In a pan, pour in cooking oil on medium high heat. Add in ginger strips, fry it until it turns crispy. Drain out excess oil and place on a kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on fish fillet and coat it thoroughly.
- In a non stick pan, pour in 2 tablespoons ginger oil on medium heat. Lightly sear the fish fillet on every side. Sear until it turns opaque for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Toss toasted sesame seeds on a plate. Coat the fillet with toasted sesame seed on all sides.
- Cut the fillet into thick slices. Make sure the inner layer is pink and outer layer is cooked.
- Chef’s tip:
- For serving, scoop a bowl of steamed rice. Place sliced fish in the middle on the steam rice and drizzle on the sauce. Arrange the vegetables, fried ginger and spring onion around the bowl.
Share it with your friends.