Sesame-Lemongrass Beef Noodle Salad
Whip up an easy and delicious meal with this Vietnamese-inspired beef noodle salad recipe by Sarah Benjamin.
- Stir Frying
- 55 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 2 to 3 servings
- 300 grams beef rump or sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Double Pagoda black sesame seeds
- 1 Japanese cucumber, deseeded and julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layer removed, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- A pinch of salt
- 80 milliliters Double Pagoda sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 4 cups cooked rice noodles, drained
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves, julienned
- ½ cup mint leaves, julienned
- 120 milliliters lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Double Pagoda sesame oil
- 1-2 bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- First, marinate the beef. In a pestle and mortar, pound the lemongrass, salt, sugar and garlic until broken down. Add the sesame oil and fish sauce and pound until you have a smooth paste.
- Toss the marinade with the sliced steak and leave to sit for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing. Stir all the dressing ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat up a large frying pan or saute pan over a high heat, and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Stir-fry the beef until just cooked, then stir in the black sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad by placing the rice noodles in a bowl, followed by carrot and cucumber. Add the sesame-lemongrass beef, then top with mint and Thai basil.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss before eating!
Share it with your friends.