Try this quick and easy bread recipe from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course.
- 10 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 10 servings
- 350 grams Plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 grams Wholemeal flour
- 1+½ teaspoons Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon Table salt
- 1 teaspoon Caster sugar
- 450 millilitres Buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and make a well in the middle. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk and add the rest to the bowl, mixing lightly with a fork as you add it. (Be careful not to overwork the dough but make sure all the dry ingredients are mixed in. Add the remaining buttermilk if necessary.)
- Tip the dough on to a floured work surface and knead gently for 30 seconds to combine. Do not overwork. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and dust with flour. Form the bread into a round, place on the tray and flatten slightly. Use a serrated knife to cut a deep cross in the top of the loaf
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30–35 minutes until the soda bread is golden on the outside and cooked through. A good way to check is by tapping the base – it should sound hollow when cooked
- Cool on a wire rack before enjoying warm or cold
Share it with your friends.