Soup Buns (Tang Bao)
Have a light bite with this tasty Chinese steamed bun recipe.
- 60 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 4 servings
- 300 grams Chinese cabbage, sliced
- Quick aspic ingredients:
- 300 millilitres Chicken stock
- 15 grams Halal gelatine powder
- Filling ingredients:
- 300 grams Ground chicken
- 1 Egg
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1.5 tablespoons Light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 300 grams Chopped aspic
- Dough ingredients:
- 600 grams All-purpose flour
- 340 grams Warm water
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- In a saucepan, heat stock until boiling then gradually mix in gelatin in batches and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour out into a tray or container to cool before setting it in the chiller for at least 2 hours.
- When the aspic has set, chop it into small cubes.
- Dissolve salt in warm water before mixing it into flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead in the oil and leave covered in warm place to rest for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking, until dough is very soft, smooth, supple, and just a little bit tacky, for about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time and keeping other pieces covered with plastic wrap, roll out dough with your palms to make 12"-long ropes.
- Divide dough into 20g balls, flatten and spoon filling in the middle.
- Using fingertips on one hand, gently pull and stretch wrapper outward before bringing it in to meet opposite fingers. Carefully fold stretched area in on itself, creating a pleat. Pinch to seal.
- Lay parchment paper at the bottom of steamer basket and arrange buns atop, steam for 15-20 mins. Serve hot.
Share it with your friends.