Spicy Prawn Carrot Soup
A hearty carrot soup with added spice and prawns by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 20 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Martin Yan's Asian Favorites
- 6 large or 12 medium Tiger/ Sea Prawns, peeled and deveined, tail still attached
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 Lemongrass, root removed and crushed
- 750 grams Carrots, cubed
- 1.2 liters Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 1.5 teaspoons Salt
- 2 young Kaffir lime leaves
- 250 milliliters can coconut cream - chill can in fridge
- ½ stalk Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 2 pieces Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon roasted Chili flakes
- In a bowl, mix prawns with fish sauce, garlic and chili powder. Leave marinating for 10 minutes.
- Heat up oil in a pan over high heat, sear the prawns for 1 min on each side, or until just cooked. When done, remove the pan off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate pot, sauté the red curry paste and lemongrass till fragrant, for about 2 to 3 minutes, then pour in the stock, add in the carrots and kaffir lime leaves.
- Bring to a simmer until carrots are tender, for about 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and remove the lemongrass from the pot. Immerse the hand blender into the pot contents and blend the mixture over High speed. Once the chunks are broken down, continue blending on Low speed until reached a smooth and silky textured soup.
- Change the hand blender attachment to the whisk attachment. Pour chilled coconut milk into the beaker and proceed to whip the coconut cream till thick and smooth.
- To the soup, adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the soup into individual serving bowls. Garnish with prawns, dollops of coconut cream, shredded kaffir lime leaves and cilantro sprigs. Sprinkle with roasted chili flakes and chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
Share it with your friends.