Spicy Sesame Straws
Dig into this quick and easy pastry recipe by Judy Joo from Korean Food Made Simple 2.
- 35 minutes
- 50 minutes
- 16 - 18 servings
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean Chilli paste)
- 1 tablespoon Doenjang (Korean soybean paste)
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 teaspoons crushed roasted Sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted Sesame oil
- All-purpose Flour, for dusting
- 1 (14-ounce / 390-gram) sheet Puff pastry, halved crosswise
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten with a splash of water
- 3 tablespoons roasted Sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons Black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Position the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a very small bowl, whisk together the chilli paste, soybean paste, mirin, honey, crushed roasted sesame seeds, garlic powder, and sesame oil until smooth. Set the mixture aside.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface
- Roll one piece of the puff pastry into a 10" x 14" rectangle and set aside
- Roll the other piece into a 10" x 14" rectangle and spread the chilli paste mixture on top, keeping a 1/2-inch border
- Set the other rectangle on top, matching up the edges, and very gently roll to seal the pieces together
- Brush with the egg mixture, avoiding the edges so the layers of pastry don’t stick together during baking, and sprinkle with half the roasted and black sesame seeds
- Lightly press the seeds in with your hands
- Carefully flip the pastry over onto one of the prepared baking sheets, brush with the egg mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining roasted and black sesame seeds, lightly pressing them in with your hands
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until firm enough to handle
- Using a pizza wheel or floured knife, trim the edges as needed to neaten them
- Cut the pastry lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- Gently twist each strip until it resembles a loose corkscrew and transfer to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Chill for 20 minutes
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until golden. Let the sesame straws cool on the baking sheets and serve at room temperature
Share it with your friends.