Spooky S'mores Trifles
Have fun with this yummy dessert recipe by Anna Olson from Bake with Anna Olson.
- 40 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 12 servings
As seen on Bake With Anna Olson
- Marshmallow Sauce:
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 teaspoon unflavoured gelatin or agar powder
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Chocolate Sauce:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup 1% or 2% milk
- 340 grams semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 24-36 graham crackers
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Candy “googly eyes” (optional)
- For the marshmallow sauce, place ½ cup (125 mL) of the water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin or agar overtop to soften for a minute. If using gelatin, heat this over low heat, stirring until dissolved. If using agar, bring the water to a boil over high heat and stir, boiling for one minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Bring the remaining ½ cup (125 mL) of water, sugar and corn syrup up to a full boil over high heat. Continue to boil on high, without stirring, until the sugar reaches 240 °F (115 °C) on a candy thermometer. Whisk in the gelatin mixture and transfer this to a heatproof bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment. Whip the sugar on high speed until it becomes white and frothy, and cools down almost to room temperature, about 8 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and set aside. If preparing ahead, the sauce can be kept in an airtight jar or container at room temperature indefinitely.
- For the chocolate sauce, bring the butter, brown sugar and milk to just below a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking often. Once the sugar has melted add the chocolate and whisk until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the vanilla and salt and set aside (you can work with the sauce still warm, or chill and reheat to room temperature to use).
- To assemble, preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C) and place 12 ovenproof glass jars or dishes on a baking tray. Stir the graham crumbs and melted butter together, and spoon a little into the bottom of each glass. Top this with a layer of marshmallow sauce (using 2 spoons makes it tidier). Top the marshmallow sauce layer with a graham cracker (break it in pieces to fit into the jar, if needed) and top this with chocolate sauce. Repeat these layers until you reach the top of the jar, trying to end with chocolate sauce if you can. Top each trifle with a generous handful of mini marshmallows. Bake the trifles for 3-4 minutes, until the marshmallows have browned and then serve. For a Halloween ghoulish effect, press two candy “googly eyes” into each trifle before serving. The trifles are tasty warm or at room temperature.
Share it with your friends.