Steamed Egg with Tom Yum & Fish Sauce in Young Coconut (Kai Dtun Maproud Onn)
Serve up this delicious Thai fusion recipe by Phol Tantasathien.
- 30 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 3 servings
- 3 pieces Young Coconut
- 3 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 Prawns peeled and butterflied, with tail intact
- 3 pieces Straw Mushroom, divided
- 6 stems Lemongrass, sliced
- 50 grams Galangal, sliced
- 5 pieces Red Chili, sliced
- 3 pieces Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- Cut open the top of the young coconuts to drain out the coconut juice into a big bowl. Keep the shells for cooking later.
- Bring 550 ml of coconut juice to boil in a pot. Prepare sliced and pounded lemongrass and galangal, whole chilies and kaffir lime leaves. Add to the boiling coconut juice and season with fish sauce. Let the tom yum broth boil for 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside. Strain the tom yum broth. Measure 350ml of the broth and pour into the egg mixture little by little. Do stir it well and then pour into the coconut shells to about half full.
- Put the coconut shells into the steamer to cook at high heat for 3 minutes. Then reduce the heat and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Bring the leftover broth to boil, add sliced mushrooms and prawns. Let it cook. Mix cornstarch with a tablespoon of water, pour into the broth and bring to boil again. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Prepare sliced chilies for garnishing. When the steamed eggs are cooked, take them out from the steamer and garnish with cooked prawns, a piece of coconut flesh, mushrooms, chilies and kaffir lime leaves.
- Pour the thick sauce and serve.
Share it with your friends.