Steamed Layer Cake (Kanom Chan)
Enjoy this deliciously unique Thai fusion dessert recipe by Phol Tantasathien.
- 20 minutes
- 12 servings
- 100 grams Tapioca Starch
- 30 grams Rice Flour
- 350 grams Coconut Cream
- 175 grams Sugar
- 100 millilitres Jasmine Water
- 1 tablespoon Pandan Juice
- Early Preparation:
- To make jasmine water, soak jasmine with clean water into the pot with lid overnight or use jasmine extract and mix with water.
- To make pandan juice, cut pandan leaves into small pieces, blend with some water and strain. The more pandan leaves are used, the more intense and darker the color will be.
- To make the syrup, bring jasmine water and sugar to a boil in a big pot. Reduce heat and cook until thickens. You should end up with approximately 150ml of syrup. Leave it aside to cool down.
- Mix the tapioca starch and rice flour with some of the syrup, just enough to form the dough. Knead for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add a small amount of coconut cream and continue to knead. Then add the rest of the coconut cream and syrup. Stir until well mixed.
- Strain and divide the mixture into 2 parts. Leave the first part as it is and mix the second part with pandan juice. Stir well.
- Prepare the steamer. Steam the molds for a minute.
- Start by pouring the green batter into the molds in thin layers, put the lid on to cook for 5 minutes. Then continue and repeat the step with the white batter and cook for 5 minutes. Repeat the same process until the molds are filled up. After 5 minutes of cooking from the last layer, continue to steam for another 2 minutes.
- Take Kanom Chan out of the steamer and let them cool at room temperature. Take out from the molds and serve.
Share it with your friends.