Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream and Waffle Cones
A sweet treat perfect for kids and the young at heart by Trisha Yearwood from Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- 15 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Trisha's Southern Kitchen
- Ice Cream:
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 6 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup strawberry preserves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Waffle Cones:
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus softened butter, for greasing the waffle cone maker
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- For the ice cream: Place the strawberries, honey, strawberry preserves, salt and vanilla bean seeds in a blender and puree for 30 to 60 seconds on high or puree setting. Add the buttermilk and cream and turn the blender on low, just to mix.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions to freeze to firm.
- For the waffle cones: Preheat a waffle cone maker.
- In a blender, combine the sugar and eggs and blend until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Then add the flour, milk, butter, vanilla and salt and blend on low until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Grease the waffle cone maker with softened butter. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the waffle cone maker and cook until golden and crisp. As soon as the waffle is cooked, remove it and wrap it around the cone mold. Press the seams together and let it cool with the seam side down, then remove the cone from the mold. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Fill the cones with the ice cream.
Special equipment: an ice cream maker and a waffle cone maker with a cone mold
Share it with your friends.