Stuffed Bitter Gourd with Chicken and Black Beans
Enjoy this quick and easy Chinese-inspired recipe by Ann Lian from Family Kitchen with Sherson.
- 30 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- 1 Bitter gourd
- Salt, for season 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Garlic clove, grated
- ½ tablespoon Ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons Fermented black beans, soaked in water for 15mins
- 3 tablespoons Light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon White pepper
- 2 caps Shao Xing rice wine
- 6 Chicken wings, cut into 4 pieces each
- 4 Red chillies, deseeded and diced
- 1 Spring onion sprig, chopped
- 1 Coriander sprig, chopped
- Water, for steaming
- Cut the bitter gourd to 2cm cylinders, deseed and sprinkle salt and leave for 15 to 20 minutes
- Heat up enough oil to fry the bitter gourd. Wash and pat dry the bitter gourd. When the oil is just about smoking point, add in the bitter gourd a few at a time and fry for 30 to 40 seconds
- In a wok, heat up the vegetable and sesame oil together. Add in the garlic, ginger and fermented black beans. Sauté till fragrant.
- Add in the soy sauce, white pepper and rice wine. Then add in the chicken wings and toss until evenly coated for about 2 minutes
- Stand the bitter gourd in a steam proof dish, then spoon the chicken pieces into the cylinder of the bitter gourd and over it
- Steam the chicken wings and bitter gourd mixture in the microwave for about 15 to 20 minutes or steam in a pot of water until chicken is cooked
- Once cooked, sprinkle the diced red chillies and spring onions on top and return to steam for another 3 to 4 minutes
- Finish off by garnishing with coriander and serve hot!
Share it with your friends.