Sweet Shredded Coconut (Mapraw Kao)
Add a sweet note to your meal with this quick and tast Thai dessert recipe by Phol Tantasathien.
- 15 minutes
- 30 servings
As seen on At Home With Phol: Thailand
- 1 whole White Old Coconut, grated
- 180 grams Sugar
- 80 millilitres Jasmine Water
- 1 teaspoon Beet Root Juice
- Natural coloring (optional):
- Red: Beet root (Make concentrated beet root juice by blending beet root with water and strain with cheese cloth)
- Green: Pandan leaves (Make concentrated pandan juice by, blending pandan leaves with water and strain with cheese cloth)
- Yellow: Turmeric (Make concentrated Turmeric juice by finely grated and strain with cheese cloth)
- Purple: Butterfly pea flower (soak with warm water and strain, add a drop of lime juice to make brighter purple)
- Grate coconut meat into small threads.
- Mix sugar with jasmine water over medium heat in a brass pan and stir until dissolved.
- When the syrup becomes thicker, add coconut meat. Keep stirring until most of the liquid has evaporated and part of syrup start to crystalize at the side of the pan. Add a few drops of beet root syrup. Mix it until the color of the grated coconut turns reddish.
- Use a spoon to shape the candied coconut into a small ball that’s bite size and put into a small ramekin. Set aside and let it cool down about 20 minutes.
- Let the syrup dry out completely before scooping them out from the ramekins. You can repeat the steps by using different ingredients in order to get the different color you like for your Mapraw Kao.
- To make jasmine water, we need to have an organic jasmine flower and float them overnight. A faster option is to use jasmine essence.
Share it with your friends.