Add a little spice to your meals with this quick and easy Szechuan beef recipe.
- Stir Frying
- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 4 servings
- Beef marinade Ingredients:
- 400 grams Beef fillet, sliced across the grain 2mm thickness
- 3 tablespoons Corn-starch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg white
- Spicy topping ingredients:
- 10 pieces Dried chili, soaked and drained
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorn
- 100 millilitres Vegetable Oil
- Sauce ingredients:
- 30 grams Szechuan spicy bean paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 6 cloves Garlic, sliced
- 400 millilitres Chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon White pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Corn-starch mixed with 3 tbsp water to make a slurry
- 2 stalks Celery leaves, washed and cut into 2" lengths
- 4 stalks Spring onion, white part lightly bruised and cut all into 2" lengths
- Vegetable layer ingredients:
- 2 hearts Baby romaine lettuce, washed and cut into ¼ with stem removed
- 1 stalks Fresh coriander, roughly chopped for garnish
- In a bowl, combine beef fillet, con-starch, salt and egg white. Set aside as it's marinating.
- Heat oil in a wok and reduce heat to fry dried chili and Szechuan peppercorn until fragrant.
- Toss fried peppercorn into a blender and blend until it becomes a powdered. Set aside for later use.
- Heat 50ml oil in a pan and add in spicy bean paste, stir frying only for one minute.
- Next, add in ginger and garlic to fry until fragrant.
- To the pan, add marinated beef, sugar, white pepper, black pepper and blended chili powder. Stir fry to mix well.
- Pour in the stock, water, corn-starch slurry, spring onions and celery leaves. Let it simmer over medium-high heat.
- In a deep serving bowl, arrange romaine lettuce.
- Pour the beef and sauce on top of the vegetables and garnish with the blended Szechuan peppercorn paste and chopped coriander.
Share it with your friends.