Szechuan Peppercorn Pancakes
Try this quick, easy and spicy pancake recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 2 hours
- 30 minutes
- 8 servings
As seen on Chuck's Day Off
- Pekin duck meat and skin
- For the Szechuan Peppercorn Pancakes:
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour (430 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon crushed Szechuan peppercorns (5 ml)
- 1½ cup boiling water (375 ml)
- 1 scallion, minced
- For the Garnish:
- 4 scallions, cut in thin strips
- 1 cucumber, seeded and cut in thin strips
- Duck meat, shredded
- Duck skin, cut in strips
- Hoisin sauce for garnish
- For the Pancakes:
- In a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt and the Szechuan peppercorns.
- Add the scallions.
- Add the boiling water slowly and begin stirring it in immediately.
- Knead the warm dough until it’s smooth.
- Place the dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 2 hours at room temperature.
- Turn the rested dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 8 equal parts.
- With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each piece out until it’s a 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out 5-inch circles of dough or just cut them out using a knife.
- With a damp towel, cover the prepared pancakes to keep them from drying out while making the rest.
- For best results, layer the pancakes on pieces of parchment paper to keep them from sticking.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy frying pan over low heat.
- Add the pancakes and cook until browned on both sides (about 2 minutes altogether; the second side will cook more quickly than the first side).
- Continue with the remainder of the pancakes, placing the cooked ones on a tray lined with paper towel to absorb some of the oil.
- Remove the duck meat from the fridge and chop it up into strips.
- To crisp up the duck skin, sauté in a pan on medium heat until crispy, about 2 minutes (do not add oil).
- Once cooked, place the skin on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- For Serving:
- Top the pancakes with the reserved shredded duck meat, garnish with crispy duck skin, scallions, cucumbers and hoisin sauce.
Share it with your friends.