Tapioca Leaves with Fermented Durian
Try this quick and easy tapioca leaves recipe by Chef Wan from Best Wan!.
- 20 minutes
- 40 minutes
- 2 servings
As seen on Best Wan!
- 2 bundles Tapioca shoots (pucuk ubi kayu; young, from the shoot to another 2-3 level leaves) sliced into thin narrow strips
- 6 Turmeric leaves (daun kunyit), shredded
- 5 Bitter beans or Stink beans (petai), peel and use the seeds
- 8 Lemongrass (serai), sliced thinly
- 800 millilitres / 26 fl oz Coconut cream (santan pekat)
- 8 tablespoons / 4 fl oz Fermented durian (tempoyak)
- 200 grams / 7 oz Dried Whitebaits or Dried Anchovies (ikan bilis)
- 200 grams / 7 oz dried Shrimps (Hibi, udang kering) - softened in hot water, drain
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Paste (to be finely grounded):
- 30 Red Bird's eye chilli (cili padi)
- 5cm / 2.5 inch Turmeric (kunyit), peeled
- Soak tapioca leaves in water with a pinch of salt. Leave for 10 minutes, and then squeeze out the water to get rid of any bitter taste
- Heat coconut cream, dried whitebait, dried shrimps and grounded paste into a pot, on a medium-low heat and stir evenly
- Add in fermented durian (tempoyak), lemongrass, tapioca leaves, and turmeric Leaves. Stir them evenly and cook for 30 minutes, or till gravy thickens. Add salt to taste
- Serve with rice and meat
Share it with your friends.