Try this quick and easy bacon and onion tart recipe from Fresh with Anna Olson.
- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 2 servings
- 1 cup (250ml) water, warm
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) pastry flour
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250ml) diced bacon
- 1 cup (250ml) sour cream, 14%
- 1 cup (250ml) sliced onion
- To taste salt and fresh milled black pepper
- For dough, blend together warm water and yeast and allow to stand 5 minutes until a froth develops. Add salt and flours and mix with a wooden spoon until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, until dough has an elastic texture. Cover and allow to rise 20 minutes in a warm area.
- To make tarte, pre-heat oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cover bacon with cold water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and drain. This step takes out extra salt and fat from the bacon and allows it to crisp up on the tarte without burning.
- Cut dough into 4 equal portions and dust lightly with flour. Roll as thinly as possible into a rectangle about the size of a legal sheet (11" x 14") and place on prepared baking tray.
- Spread 1/4 of the sour cream over the surface of the dough. Top with 1/4 each of the bacon and sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven 8 minutes then slide the parchment off the cookie sheet directly onto the oven rack and cook 3 minutes further, until the crust is gold brown and crispy.
- Slide tart onto a cutting board and cut in half lengthwise, then into 6 widthwise, to equal 12 small portions.
- Make the remaining three while you snack on the first one!
Share it with your friends.