Thai Pandan Chicken (Gai Hor Bai Toey)
Enjoy this authentic Thai chicken recipe by Phol Tantasathien!
- Deep Frying
- 60 minutes
- 30 minutes
As seen on At Home With Phol: Thailand
- Chicken Marinade:
- 350 grams Skinless Chicken thigh, bite size cut
- 2 roots Coriander root
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¼ teaspoon White peppercorns 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Coconut Cream
- Pandanus Leaf, for wrapping
- Dipping Sauce:
- 70 grams Palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons Sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind sauce
- To serve Roasted white sesame seed
- Pound and grind coriander roots, garlic and white peppercorns and add light soy sauce, oyster sauce and coconut cream. Mix well. Pour everything and mix with the chicken pieces. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or 3 hours to overnight in the fridge.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients except sesame on the stove to boil. Then reduce to medium heat and cook until thicken (not too dense) and set aside to cool down.
- Cut a pandan leaf to the right size and twist the middle part of it (with both ends sticking outwards). Take a piece of chicken from the marinade and put it inside the leaf to wrap it up. Cut off any excess length from the leaf. Repeat for others.
- Deep-fry the wrapped chickens in oil at 180°C (medium high heat) for 3-4 minutes. Rest for few minutes then serve with the dipping sauce topped with roasted white sesame seeds.
Share it with your friends.