Tiffani's Croque Monsieur
Satisfy your cravings with this delicious French-inspired sandwich recipe by Tiffani Thiessen from Dinner at Tiffani's.
- 15 minutes
- 50 minutes
- 6 servings
As seen on Dinner At Tiffani's
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 slices brioche
- 340 grams honey ham, sliced thin
- 283 grams Emmentaler cheese, sliced thin
- Heat the canola oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown and caramelized, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup water to the pan. Continue cooking, scraping up any browned bits, until the liquid is completely evaporated and the onions are soft and jammy, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Heat a stovetop griddle to medium low. Butter one side of each brioche slice with 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining butter. Flip the bread buttered-side down and place 2 slices of ham on half of the slices. Top the ham with a dollop of the caramelized onions and spread evenly over the ham. To the empty 6 slices of bread, add 2 slices of cheese. Fold the two halves together to make sandwiches.
- Place the sandwiches on the griddle and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the sandwiches to toast on other side and melt the cheese, another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Hold the sandwiches in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Slice the sandwiches diagonally in half to serve.
Share it with your friends.