Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
Have fun with this simply yummy ice cream recipe by Anna Olson from Bake with Anna Olson.
- 20 minutes
- 10 minutes
- Ice cream base:
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 large egg whites
- ⅔ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- For the ice cream base, bring the milk up to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk half of the sugar into the milk and whisk the other half into the egg yolks. Once the milk begins to simmer slowly pour it into the egg yolks while whisking them, and then add the whole mixture back to the pot, continuing to whisk over medium heat until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Strain the custard and whisk in the vanilla and whipping cream. Chill until ready to churn the ice cream.
- For the marshmallow, whip the egg whites using electric beaters or in a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment until foamy and then pour in 2 Tbsp (25 g) of sugar and whip until the whites hold a soft peak.
- Grease and dust a baking tray with cornstarch, tapping off any excess. Place the remaining 2/3 cup (140 g) of sugar in a pot with the water and bring this up to a full boil over high heat without stirring, boiling until the sugar reaches 239 °F (115 °C) on a candy thermometer. Carefully pour the sugar into the whites while the beaters are running on high speed, and then continue to whip on high speed until cooled, about 5 minutes. Spread the marshmallow out onto the prepared baking tray. Use a butane torch to “toast” the marshmallow (the darker you toast it, the more the “campfire” taste will come through.) Alternatively, you can toast the marshmallow by baking it in a 450 °F (230 °C) oven until browned.
- Pour the chilled ice cream custard into an ice cream maker and churn following manufacturer’s instructions. Once the ice cream is almost frozen, spoon in the marshmallow and let the ice cream maker churn it in just for a minute. Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- The ice cream will keep for up to 2 weeks, frozen.
Share it with your friends.