Try this quick and easy meat pie recipe recipe from Bake with Anna Olson.
- 25 minutes
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 12 servings
As seen on Bake With Anna Olson
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of fine salt
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons to 10 tablespoonsp of cold water, whenever needed
- 1½ cups of potatoes, diced and peeled
- 1+½ pounds of ground veal or beef or a combination of both
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon of fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of crushed celery seeds
- A dash of all spice powder
- A dash of ground cloves
- 1 cup of apple cider
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons (25ml) of water for glazing
- Combine flour with salt
- Cut in butter and shortening until the mixture resembles a rough crumbly texture
- Add lemon juice and water. Blend until dough comes together
- Shape the dough into a disc
- Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes
- Cook potatoes in an uncovered pot of salted water until soft and tender. Afterwhich, drain the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and set aside to cool.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, saute the veal or beef over medium heat until it is no longer pink.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Add onions, carrots and seasoning. Saute until tender, for about 10 minutes.
- Add cider and water. Bring up to a simmer.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in potatoes and let it cool at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut dough in half and roll it out to about ¼ inch (0.5cm) thickness and line an 8 inch (20cm) springform pan.
- Fill it with the tourtiere filling.
- Roll out the remaining dough. Cut a hole in the center so as to allow the steam to escape. After which, place on top of the filling.
- Pinch the edges of the crust together and brush with eggwash.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry turns a rich golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and serve.
Share it with your friends.