Turmeric Leaf Pancake
An aromatic pancake dish by Sapna Anand from Fast Indian Cooking with Sapna
- 45 minutes
- 4 to 5 servings
As seen on Fast Indian Cooking With Sapna
- 1 cup raw rice, soaked and drained
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2-3 fresh banana leaves (depending on size of steamer)
- 5 - 6 fresh turmeric leaves
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup jaggery
- 4- 5 cardamom pods
- Rinse and soak rice for at least 30 minute.
- Drain rice and blend with water to make a thick fine paste.
- Remove seeds from cardamom and lightly crush using a pestle and mortar.
- Clean the turmeric leaves, and dry carefully with a towel, making sure not to tear or bruise the leaves.
- Slide both sides of the leaf on open flame carefully just enough to wilt. This helps to fold and avoid any tear or damage while steaming.
- Combine the fresh grated coconut, jaggery and coarse crushed cardamom in a bowl.
- Coat one side of turmeric leaves with thin layer of ghee.
- Spoon the rice paste to make a thin even layer over the leaf, keeping away from the edges.
- Top 2 -3 tablespoon of the coconut mix on only half side of the rice paste, leaving the other half empty. Fold the leaf to close.
- Line the bottom of a steamer with banana leaf. Place the pancake packs in the steamer to steam for 7 to 10 minutes on low heat.
- Raw rice can be replaced by rice powder, adjust water to get the right consistency.
Share it with your friends.