Vegetarian Sheppard's Pie
Get this quick and easy sheppard's pie recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 30 minutes
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 serving
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 head of garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup roasted pine nuts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat parsley, chopped
- 5 to 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled but not peeled
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup smooth goat cheese
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups wild mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried Du Puys lentils, cooked
- Fried shallots to garnish
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
- First, cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 hours. As an alternative, place on a plate and cook in the microwave on high for about 20 minutes.
- Put the garlic head on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put in the oven for 30 minutes or until the garlic is very tender.
- In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the milk. Let stand for 5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Mix in the pine nuts, the eggs and herbs. Put aside.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, goat cheese, cooked garlic puree and cream to make them nice and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the spaghetti squash flesh with a fork and put it in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and put aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and saute the onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked lentils and the bread mixture. Stir and put aside.
- In an 8 x 11 inches (20 x 28 cm) baking dish, spoon the vegetable mixture onto the bottom. Layer with the spaghetti squash, then the potatoes and smooth them down. Cook in oven for 30 minutes or so until top is slightly browned.
- Garnish with fried shallots to taste.
Share it with your friends.