Veggie Mac and Cheese
Get this quick and easy vegetarian recipe by Laura Vitale from Simply Laura.
- 25 minutes
- 35 minutes
- 8 servings
- Kosher Salt
- 340 grams Corkscrew pasta (or any shape of pasta you like)
- 2 cups Broccoli florets, 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups Cauliflower florets, 1-inch pieces
- 2 large Carrots, coarsely shredded
- 7+½ tablespoons Unsalted Butter, plus for greasing
- 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard Powder
- Pinch freshly grated Nutmeg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups coarsely grated Whole-Milk Mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus for sprinkling
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with butter.
- Fill a large pot with water, add a generous pinch of salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta along with the broccoli and cauliflower. Boil for 7 minutes, adding the carrots for the last minute. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta and veggies are cooking, make the sauce.
- Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour; cook, stirring, to cook off the raw flour, 1 minute. Add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mustard powder, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta and veggies to the prepared casserole dish. Pour over the sauce, sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella and the Parmesan and Gorgonzola. Give everything a good mix. Scatter the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and a little more Parm over the top.
- Melt the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the breadcrumbs, toss to combine and then evenly scatter over the mac and cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown on top, about 25 minutes.
- Special equipment:
- 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish (2-inch in depth)
Share it with your friends.