Vignole (Spring Vegetable Stew)
Try this quick and easy stew recipe by Jamie Oliver from Jamie's Great Italian Escape.
- 10 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
As seen on Jamie's Great Italian Escape
- 4 small or violet Artichokes
- Sea salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- 340 grams podded fresh baby Broad beans
- 6 baby Leeks, or 1 regular Leek, outer leaves removed, cut into 8cm/3 inch lengths, washed
- 198 grams Spinach or Chard, picked and washed
- Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 small White onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 312 grams Chicken stock
- 340 grams podded fresh Peas
- 4 thick slices of Prosciutto
- A small bunch of fresh Mint, leaves picked
- A small bunch of fresh flat-leaf Parsley, leaves picked
- Put the artichokes into a pot of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender (check by inserting a knife into the heart) and drain. Allow to cool, then peel back the outer leaves till you reach the pale tender ones and remove the choke using a teaspoon. Tear the hearts into quarters.
- Fill the pot with water again, add some salt and bring to the boil. Blanch the broad beans for a minute, then remove from the water with a slotted spoon and drain. Blanch the leeks for 3 or 4 minutes until tender, and the spinach or chard until just wilted.
- Heat a large saucepan, big enough to hold all the ingredients, and add a good splash of oil. Cook the onion very gently for about 10 minutes until soft, add the chicken stock and the peas and bring back to the boil. Lay the slices of prosciutto over the top and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the peas are cooked and soft, and the prosciutto has flavoured them nicely.
- Tear the leeks into strips and stir them into the peas with the roughly chopped spinach or chard, the artichokes and the broad beans. Bring back to simmering point and let all the vegetables stew together very slowly for about 10 more minutes.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the chopped herbs and a good few glugs of olive oil before serving.
Share it with your friends.