Whole Wheat Biscuits
Try this quick and easy whole wheat biscuit recipe by Michael Smith from Chef Michael's Kitchen.
- 60 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6 servings
- For the Biscuits:
- 3 cups of Flour
- 1 cup of Red fife or your favourite Whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of Baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 1 cup of frozen Butter
- 1½ cup of Milk
- 1 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 tablespoon of Oil
- For the Honey Vanilla butter:
- 1 cup of softened Butter
- ¼ cup of Honey
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla
- For the Honey Vanilla Butter:
- In a small bowl, using a wooden spoon or a hand mixer, cream the softened butter with the honey and vanilla until they’re well blended and ready to spread
- Store covered at room temperature for maximum spreadability!
- For the Biscuits:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and turn on your convection fan if you have on
- Whisk the two flours, baking powder and salt together evenly distributing the finer powders amongst the coarser ones
- Thoroughly grate the frozen butter through the largest holes of a standard box grater straight into the dry ingredients
- Toss the works gently with your fingers until the butter shards are spread evenly throughout the flour, a far easier process than laboriously ‘cutting’ in the fat
- Pour the milk into the flour mixture and stir with the handle of a wooden spoon forming a dough mass
- Knead the works gently a few times with your hands, folding it over and absorbing flour until all the ingredients come together
- If necessary add a few spoonfuls more milk to help gather up any stray flour
- Pat or roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface forming a thick even disc roughly 1” thick then cut into large pie shaped wedges.
- Position the biscuits on a baking tray then whisk together the honey and oil and brush their tops.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and delicious, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with dollops of honey vanilla butter
Share it with your friends.