Red Curry Beef
Indulge in this dish of red beef curry with tender beef and luscious gravy, alongside a serving of steamed rice!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make curry paste
- In a blender, add 5 large rehydrated chilis, 1 tsp salt, shallot, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, coriander, ground cumin, ½ tsp black pepper, belacan, kaffir lime zest and 2 to 4 chili padi.
- If mixture is not blending well, use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth paste. Adjust the level of spice by adding or removing the amount of chili padi.
Step 2 - Fry spice paste
- In a pot on medium heat, heat up 3 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry the curry paste until fragrant, and oil is coming to the surface.
- Add in 1½ Tbsp brown sugar and 1 Tbsp fish sauce. Stir well.
Step 3 - Make curry
- To the same pot, add 1 cup of coconut milk and bring the curry to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, cover the pot, and simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar, if necessary.
- Stir in 3 finely sliced kaffir lime leaves, and set aside to cool.
- Add in beef cubes and simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour or until tender. To make a vegetarian version, substitute the beef with firm tofu
Plate and serve!
Spoon some red curry sauce over white rice. Serve with lime wedges on the side.