Red Wine Japanese Beef Curry
Japanese curry is a sweeter, milder take on curry, but adding some red wine helps to make this a more grown-up take on a comforting Asian classic.
- Combine the beef cubes with red wine, honey and soy sauce.
- Leave to marinate for at least one hour, or even overnight.
- Heat up oil in a large port over medium heat.
- Add the onions and carrots. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to distribute evenly.
- Next, add beef to the marinade.
- Pour enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Simmer the stew for 1 - 1.5 hours, or when the beef is soft and melting.
- Top up the stew with any remaining water, then stir in the curry roux cubes until they dissolve.
- Bring it to a vigorous simmer for 5 minutes until stew has thickened, and is glossy.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.