Rendang Daging Cincang
Translating to slow cooked minced beef, this Indonesian recipe is easily a crowd favorite
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Mix beef mince
- Combine beef mince with desiccated coconut, 2 cloves minced garlic, chopped ginger, nutmeg and mix well. It is popularly thought that when the Minangkabau settlers from Sumatra migrated to the southern part of the Malay peninsula, they brought beef rendang along with them
Step 2 - Blend spice paste
- In a blender, add 1 pc 5 cm ginger, galangal, 5 cloves garlic and sliced chili. Blend for 1 minute and set aside.
Step 3 - Boil herbs and coconut milk
- In a large pot on medium heat, add coconut milk.
- When it starts to boil, add turmeric leaf, lime leaves, bay leaves, bruised lemongrass, sliced shallots and cardamom pods.
- Whilst continually stirring so that it doesn’t stick or burn on the bottom, let it cook and slowly thicken.
Step 4 - Boil curry
- Once coconut mixture is nice and creamy, add marinated mince mixture and spice paste.
- Stir well to break up any clumps of meat.
- Let it gently simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring and checking on it regularly so that it doesn’t burn or boil.
- It is best to simmer this dish for at least 5 hours. As with all rendang dishes, the longer the dish is kept, the better the flavor and aroma.
Plate and serve!
When you can see that the liquid has reduced towards the end, season with a pinch of salt and sugar, serve hot with steamed rice!