Glazed with butter and sugar, this soft and fluffy bread will be the perfect pairing with your favorite breakfast drink!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Activate yeast and crack egg into mixture
- In a cup, mix 300 ml water with instant yeast and 70 g white sugar. Stir well and set aside to allow mixture to turn foamy. This will take 5 to 10 minutes.
- After mixture turns foamy, crack 1 egg into the mixture and mix well.
Step 2 - Make and proof dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, ½ Tsp salt and mix well with a stand mixer and hook attachment.
- Slowly add in yeast mixture into the flour. Keep mixing until it forms a dough.
- Place dough on a working surface and knead for 5 to 8 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Place smooth dough in a large bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set aside for 1 hour to let it proof. It should double in size.
Step 3 - Braid and proof dough again
Place proofed dough on a lightly floured working surface and knead again for 3 minutes.
Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.To make smaller versions of roti golok, divide and roll the dough to preferred size.
Roll each dough into a long tube and cut in half. You should have 6 long rolls of dough.
Combine the ends of 3 doughs together and braid it together. Bring the right dough over the centre dough. Bring the left dough over the centre dough and repeat. Pinch the ends together to secure the braid. Do the same with the other 3 doughs.
Place braided doughs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover with cling wrap and let it proof again for 30 minutes.
Step 4 - Bake dough
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a small bowl, crack and beat 1 egg until well mixed.
- After second proofing, gently brush on beaten egg on the surface of the dough.
- Let it bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- After baking, brush on unsalted butter over the bread and sprinkle caster sugar over.
Plate and serve!
Transfer to serving plate. You can serve it as a whole bread or sliced. Serve warm or at room temperature.