Salt Baked Chicken
Relish in nostalgia with this traditional Chinese chicken dish -tender and aromatic with the use of Chinese herbs.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Bake rock salts
- Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- Place rock salt in a baking tray, setting aside 2 Tbsp salt to season the chicken, and bake in a preheated oven at 240°C for 10 minutes.
The weight of the chicken should be the weight of the rock salt. If you are using a 1 kg chicken, use 1 kg rock salt
Step 2 - Salt and stuff chicken
- Clean chicken and pat dry with dry towel or paper towel.
- Evenly rub the chicken with 2 Tbsp rock salt including the cavity of the chicken.
- Stuff spring onions, ginger, wolfberries, dong quai and gan cao into the cavity of the chicken.
- Like a parcel, wrap the chicken with the parchment paper.
- Flip it over and wrap with parchment paper again. Turn it over and wrap it with the aluminum foil.
Legend has it that the origins of this dish stem from a travelling merchant who was once gifted with a chicken, which he decided to wrap in salt to preserve on his long journey home. Halfway through, he decided to roast the chicken and was so delighted with the taste, he shared the recipe with everyone -and that’s how salt baked chicken is born!
Step 3 - Bake chicken
- In a separate large pot or bowl, pour half of the heated salt.
- Then place the chicken in the middle, now pour the rest of the salt over the chicken and cover the pot.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours and allow it to cool for 30 minutes before removing from thepot.
The salt crust acts an an oven to ensure your chicken bakes evenly, while imparting flavor. Just like any other conventional oven, the salt also has to be “preheated” before!
Plate and serve!
Cool and serve.